Backpacks with wheels come as a solution for the kids who have to carry a heavy load of textbooks to and from their schools. Careful parents have now shifted to rolling backpacks for kids in an effort to avoid long term health problems for their kids. Many people are not aware of what a messenger bag is, but it is becoming an integral part of back to school.
Kids are choosing this new style of kit for their belongings over those traditional backpacks we are all familiar with. It has researched that many students worldwide suffer from neck and shoulder injuries because they abound to carry their bags on their shoulders and back.
A rolling backpack is an excellent tool for a child who tends to walk to school and back. It will sit comfortably on your child and keep their belongings safe. However, kids who are on the bus or in a car will find the backpack quite uncomfortable to keep on. If they take it off, then they may lose it, or items from it, quite easily.
A major benefit of rolling book bags is that with wheels, they are much easier for kids to carry their books and other school supplies to and from school. These backpacks are comfortable and also prevent future back and shoulder pain issues.
Kids rolling backpack is a wonderful invention for children to learn organization skills and structure, as well. They are good for overnight trips, camping, picnics, and many other occasions when a full suitcase or duffle bag is too big and cumbersome.
Rolling backpacks enable to carrying a large amount of luggage easily, and flexibility and they help a lot in avoiding too much of overstraining of our body which is very pertinent and vital.
Nowadays it is also used for airplane trips where one piece of small carry-on luggage is allowed. Many airports require long walks from security checks to the plane’s boarding area. Having the perfect solution for kids because the distance is that much harder on a shorter person who is also not as strong.
Ultimately, the real advantage of using a rolling book bag vs. a book bag that must always be carried is saving your child’s physical health from the potential injuries. Permanent damage can be done to a child’s musculature and spine from prolonged use of over-the-shoulder book bags that are too heavy. Using a book bag that rolls eliminate this possibility.
Tips To Avoid Injuries:
Here are some tips to minimize the harmful effects of carrying a backpack:
1. Do not allow your child to carry more weight than the recommended ratio i.e. below 20% of his / her own weight. Talk to school administration, teachers, and other parents, too, if required.
2. Teach your child to adjust the backpack to rest exactly on the curve of the lower back. It should not be hanging more than four inches down your child’s waistline.
3. The shoulder straps should be sufficiently-padded and wide enough to distribute the load of the backpack evenly on shoulders.
4. Children, by nature, are fond of show-offs and often carry extracurricular items from home to their school for the purpose. You should check your child’s backpack on a regular basis and make sure that it carries the required things only.
5. All the items in the backpack should be arranged in order that the heaviest items are placed first. Also, items should not be able to wobble or shift with the walking movements of the kid. If there is too much load to be carried on the back, you may ask your kid to carry some of the items in hand, instead of a backpack.
6. Teach your child how to and strictly instruct him/her to wear these kids rolling backpacks properly on both shoulder straps. Children often indulge in deliberate slinging of the pack from one shoulder, which may cause a great deal of muscle strain and pain after some time. It also disturbs the body posture, curving the spine and causing deformation throughout the back, neck, and shoulders.
Rolling Backpacks for Kids • Shopping Tips
Certain things are to be considered for selecting Kids backpacks. Here are some of the tips which you can take heed.
- You can check out the ergonomic design.
- The design of the bag should match with the requirement of the kid. For example,- the telescoping handle should be appropriate with the kids’ height that will avoid the kid from bending, and he/she can walk upright.
- The height of the backpack should not cause any shoulder or back injury to the delicate bodies of the children.
- Since the wheels of the bags may not suit all terrains, so the bag straps should be the right size to fit the tender shoulder of the kids.
- Measure the height of the bag, and it should be two inches above the waist of the child.
Top 9 Best Rolling Backpacks For Kids:
Kids rolling backpacks are available in the market in different sizes and length so there is no need to worry whether it suits your kids as you can select the one which matches your kid’s size.
There are always new models of backpack available. Some of the designs that were tested have improved now and many have been discontinued from the market. But what this research revealed serves as a useful guide for shoppers and parents to decide which backpack is ideal for your kid.
1: Meetbelify Rolling Backpack
The size was a perfect fit for a 10-Year-old Girl. The additional Lunch was an outstanding accessory. The bag is beautiful and easy to set up and looks like it will fit a lot of things.
It has multi-colors such as pink, red, rose red. you can also choose only a backpack or order with a lunch box. It’s a water-resistant backpack having made of quality nylon. High-quality noiseless wheels, easy to roll.
the main pocket is large enough for holding books. On both sides 2 mesh pockets that carry water bottles as well as umbrellas. For other items, attach a lunch bag with shoulder straps. Include a mini pouch for pencils and an extra pencil case that holds your pens.
2. Yodo Kids Insulated Toddler Backpack
It looks puffy and nice. Great chest harness that adjusts easily enough and doesn’t selfly budge until you are ready to adjust it again.
Insulated made so it’s perfect for snacks and drinks. its also used for twins as a diaper bag. On both sides of the backpack include mesh pockets for cups or anything else. its an excellent harness backpack.
Perfect size for above 3-year-old’s kids. The safety that these backpacks provide is comforting when you have runners. Haven’t used it yet, so can’t attest to the durability but it seems well-made and of good quality!
3. Skip Hop Kids Luggage with Wheels
Skip Hop Kids Rolling Luggage size perfectly set for little kids. The front zip pocket keeps it easy to reach smaller things. Having a retractable 13-inch handle for easy carry-on.
it also includes Elastic mesh bottle pocket, poly-canvas fabric, zipper pulls, and much more.
4. J World New York Kids
The Lollipop Rolling Backpack is a nice small rolling case and can be used as both carryon luggage for kids that is easy to fit on a plane surface and a rolling backpack that is easy to carry. The backpack is made of 100% Polyester. It includes Lunch bag, Front Pouch, Mesh Pocket Comfort-grip Handle, Adjustable strap, and much more.
5. Star Wars R2-Dye Wheeled Backpack
A Star Wars backpack is always a favorite between young kids. Many parents who grew up with this legendary movie are now finding themselves buying Star Wars related items for their children, it is quite easy to find a great Star Wars backpack that your child will love.To help make the decisions a little easier, here is the best brand on the market you can buy.
The American Tourister 18′ Upright is a lightweight rolling backpack, made of durable polyester material with inline mounted skate wheels. It includes an easy pull handle and top grab handle for easy lifting. It exists in different colorful designs so that is best for kids.
If you want a Star Wars backpack, trust me on this, they don’t come any cooler than this one.
6. American Tourister Disney Kids Hardside Upright Luggage
The American Tourister Disney 16″ Upright Hard side is a lightweight kid rolling backpack and having smooth In-Line Wheels. It includes a push-button handle that provides a comfortable grip. Detailed with colorful graphics, so it is perfect for both boys and girls.
7. Wheeled Backpack with Rain Cover
8. Tilami Rolling Backpack
It Designs multi-functional so you can use it as a diaper bag, luggage, and handbag. It has two zips that allow kids to open the bag from two directions easily. When kids don’t want to roll it, so they can wear them – one on each shoulder.
9: Sunrise Rolling Backpack
J world new York sunrise made from 100% Polyester with an aluminum handle which is made of high density PU coated materials and aluminum pipes, provides a comfortable grip.
Easily Accessible Front Pocket Organizer with pencil, cardholder, keys, and other valuables items can be stashed. The Roomy main compartment is easy to carry books and the water bottle keeps cool a day.
10: Kipling Big Wheels Kids Rolling Bag
On storage the Big Wheely Kid backpack with two spacious. They roll smoothly that is easy for the kids to drag wherever they are going. A eyes and ears look so great so kids love.
11: Funday Unicorn Kids Backpack
Funday Unicorn Kids Backpack makes great birthday gifts for kids in your life.
This is so colorful, soft, and fun for kids. Kids keep their toys closed and take their best friends everywhere. I love that you have the option to take the wheels off in case they just want to use it as a backpack. The design of the handle and wheels is definitely cheaper than the bag itself.
Kids Rolling Backpacks • Shopping Tips.
Be aware when you are buying kids rolling backpacks, as the cheaper bags with wheels tend to wear out much faster than their brand-name counterparts. Investing in a slightly more expensive bag will save you in the long run, especially when it prevents you from purchasing multiple replacements within the same school year.
Watch out for flimsy fabric wheel covers as they tend to get caught and torn off immediately. Improperly balanced wheels can make loading your children’s backpacks a hassle as it continuously tumbles over.
The pull out handle should slide in and out with ease. If the handle pulls out too far, your child may not be tall enough to use the rolling backpack feature. An adjustable handle allows the child to choose the most comfortable position. Stowaway pockets for the backpack straps prevent them from dragging on the ground, getting caught in the wheels, tearing, or breaking off completely.
Multiple pockets to carry water bottles, store the calculator, and other odds and ends are also useful.
Multiple heavy textbooks will naturally wear the fabric out faster. With the rolling backpacks, you also have to take into consideration this can cause the bag to flip sideways or backward when using the wheels. Look for hard plastic corners at the bottom, which can help prevent this from happening. And finally, it helps to choose colors that are less likely to attract dirt, helping to keep these rolling backpacks nice and clean.
When I was younger, I remember carrying my heavy backpack draped over a single shoulder so that I could look “cool.” Coincidence or not, to this very day, that same shoulder dips lower than the other. When was the last time you paid attention to your children’s backpacks?
Watch your Back! Backpack Safety Tips
As kids get older and move through elementary school into middle school, their loads get significantly more substantial, which can lead to back injuries. When worn correctly, a backpack can distribute weight evenly and comfortably, but combined weight and improper wearing can create a dangerous condition for children’s backs. Here are a few guidelines for backpack safety that every parent should know:
- 15% Rule: Kids should NEVER have more than 10%-15% of their body weight in their backpacks.
- Use both straps: Insist that your children wear both straps of their backpack, as slinging one strap over their shoulder can cause shoulder and neck strain.
- Look for straps and padding: When buying a backpack, keep an eye on the filling in the shoulders and back. If the pack includes a waist strap and you can convince the child to wear it, do!
- Consider Wheels: If your child needs to carry more than the safe weight, then you could try a rolling backpack with a handle and wheels.
- Use the locker or desk: Encourage kids to drop off or change their bag contents if possible throughout the day, rather than loading up every textbook.
- Procrastinate much?: If you notice your child bringing home a more substantial bag on Thursdays or Fridays, they might be saving all of their work for the end of the week! Excellent homework planning skills can also help with back health.
- Lift from the knees: teach your kids the right way to lift heavy objects at an early age. Remember, lift from the knees and keep your back straight. NEVER lift while bending your back!
How to buy the right school bag for your kids.
Your child’s bag from last year is falling apart, the straps are too loose, the colour has faded, and the decals are peeling. Maybe the school bag got used all summer as a beach tote, and it’s full of sand, or as a mountaineering backpack at camp and a bear got at it. Perhaps they have outgrown its size or matured past the cutesy characters they loved last year. Whatever the reasons are, here are some essential factors to consider before purchasing your child’s next backpack or bag.
Evaluate your child’s needs
The first thing parents need to do is evaluate the needs of their child based on age or grade and hobbies or activities. Children in preschool through first grade will not be carrying many books home, and therefore can use smaller sized backpacks. Preschoolers also often only attend half days or snacks are prepared in class, so they may not need to fit a full-sized lunchbox in their bag.
Sometimes you may want to have enough room to include the lunchbox or container inside the backpack, but if your child buys school lunch that is not necessary. Are there after school sports or classes with clothes, shoes or accessories that will be competing with homework for space?
STYLE, DESIGN & FEATURES
Features to look for: Comfy shoulder straps, a padded or quilted back, Multiple pockets & Dual zippers, Waterproof, colourfast material.
MATERIALS & SAFETY
Yes, you CAN still find backpacks that are made in the USA! Although many bags are manufactured in China, you can still hold the Chinese factories to a high standard, and most companies these days are very clear about their manufacturing policies. Independent retailers will be your best bet when looking for high quality European or North American made school gear, rather than shopping in the big box stores.
Things to keep an eye out for are, heavy-duty cloth or vinyl and durable stitching. If it feels cheap, it probably won’t last. Also, read your labels for PVC content! PVC is a dangerous chemical used in many children’s products. Read more about PVC here.